Saturday, January 22, 2011

Who am I, anyway?

In a previous post, I reflected on the fact that true satisfaction requires letting go of earthly desires and seeking God's will and purpose for your life.  There is no better place to be in life than smack dab in the middle of God's plan. Before reaching that point, however, some people feel that it is necessary to first answer the question, "Who am I?".   

I was adopted through a closed adoption process, so I grew up with a number of questions concerning my identity.  Through the process of trying to answer some of those questions, I learned that there are a lot of wrong ways to try to define one's true identity.

One of the worst mistakes is to define yourself based on the opinions and comments of others who can only see from the outside and not into the heart.
The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7b)
This subject has been a source of amusement to me my entire life.  People have told me that there is no way I could possibly be adopted because I look so much like my adopted parents.  I also act like them, talk like them, and use similar mannerisms.  
Mom, My Firstborn, Me













Career
Is our identity a function of our profession?   When I began my career as an engineer, almost everyone I met at work was surprised to learn that I was an engineer.  A friend of mine was recently told that he couldn't possibly be an engineer because he looks at people directly in their eyes.  How can anyone judge your profession by merely an outward inspection?
Employee directory photo













While working as a logistics engineer, I tried to "fit in" during business trips to various warehouses by operating the forklift, but I was told I don't look much like a forklift operator either.












Perhaps I look more like an electric power line worker.
Riding along in a bucket truck one day at work
When our first child was born, I quit working full time and did some energy management consulting part-time and taught a few leadership training seminars for manufacturing professionals.  I was told by a few that I didn't look like a professional trainer either.
Consultant mugshot
Now that I am at home educating our children, I assumed that I at least look like a mother.  Yet a massage therapist I was seeing for the first and last time told me this past week that I just don't look like a mom.

If I don't look like mom, does that mean that I don't look like a preschool tutor either?
My preschool class
Clearly, we should never try to define ourselves based on others' opinions.  We also should not form our self identity based on our profession which can change as rapidly as the opinions of others.

Hobbies/Activities/Outside Interests
Some people have no problem separating their identity from their professions but choose instead to define themselves based on their hobbies or interests.  For a long time, I defined myself as a runner. 
Disney marathon finish line
Then, when multiple neck, back, and knee injuries made running impossible, I mourned over my new identity as a victim of chronic pain. Memories of being called a "wimp" in childhood returned.  Running had made me feel strong, but chronic pain made me feel so vulnerable and helpless.

Last January, my doctor prescribed weight lifting as part of my healing process. I cannot justify joining a gym right now, but just by doing simple resistance training exercises at home, my back and neck are already much improved despite the permanent damage along my spine.  Most people probably assume that a little gal like me could not possibly lift weights either.

I was able to finally run again this past fall but leg and knee injuries have kept me from running this winter.  I just can't base my identity upon running or lifting because I never know when another injury may put me flat on my back again.  

Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.  (Proverbs 27:1)

People may look to countless other hobbies/activities for self-identity.  Motor cycling is a popular hobby.  Do I look like a Harley driver?
Or does a Yamaha define me better?

Fishing, golfing, gaming, boating, crafting, music, art, etc. are all valuable hobbies given to us by God to enjoy both for our own pleasure and for His glory.  These hobbies do not, however, define us.

Relationships
Sometimes we define ourselves based our relationships.  I am a daughter, wife, mother, sister, aunt, cousin, and friend.  At times, these earthly relationships can overwhelm and consume us, but they do not adequately define us.
Newly engaged = consuming love!
Newborn = overwhelming love!
The true source of our identity can only be found by going to the One who created us for the answers.  Our identity is first and foremost found in Him who never changes.

Acts 17:28-30 
28 ‘For in Him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are His offspring.’

Those who have accepted Christ as Lord and Savior are children of God, and that is the identity definition that matters for eternity!  How does God define us?  I've noted only a small sampling of the many ways God describes us below:

1.  Wonderfully made in His own image
  • Psalm 139:14   I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
  • Genesis 1:27  So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.
2.   Purified, cleansed, sanctified
  •  Isaiah 1:18   “Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the LORD. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.
  • 1 Corinthians 6:11   And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
3.  Unconditionally loved forever
  • John 3: 16-17 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 
  • Romans 8:38-39   38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
4.  Safe and secure
  • Proverbs 1:33   but whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm.
  • Psalm 4:8  In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety
5.  Eternal
  • John 10:28  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
6.  Never alone
  • Matthew 28:20b  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
7.  Supernaturally gifted
  • 1 Corinthians 12: 7-10   Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.....wisdom...knowledge...healing...miraculous powers...prophecy...tongues...
  • Matthew 7:11  If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
8.  Co-heirs with Christ
  • Romans 8:17  Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. 

So, if we have been adopted or grafted into God's family, do we reflect His image in the way we live our lives?  Just as I have grown to look like my adopted family on earth, does my life resemble my Father in Heaven?  Joy Williams asked these sorts of questions in her song, "Do They See Jesus In Me?"


Joy Williams  Do They See Jesus In Me? (LYRICS)

Is the face that I see in the mirror the one I want others to see?
Do I show in the way that I walk in my life the love that you've given to me?
My heart's desire is to be like you in all that I do, all I am

CHORUS:
Do they see Jesus in me?
Do they recognize your face?
Do I communicate your love and your grace?
Do I reflect who you are in the way I choose to be?
Do they see Jesus, Jesus in me?

Well it's amazing that you'd ever use me, but use me the way you will
Help me to hold out heart of compassion and grace
A heart that your Spirit fills
May I show forgiveness and mercy the same way you've shown it to me

CHORUS

Well I want to show all the world that You are the reason I live and breathe
So You'll be the one that they see when they see me

CHORUS

Oh, do they see Jesus in me?

1 comment:

  1. Sherri,
    You are so amazing. Everything you do is top notch...even every post on your blog!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...