Monday, August 27, 2012

Another tribute to Art Linkletter

Art Linkletter loved children and kept America laughing with his television show, Kids Say the Darndest Things.   Even though Mr. Art Linkletter has finished the race of life on earth, sometimes I feel like he is airing a show in our own home.  The humorous honesty and profound ponderings that flow from the lips of our children keep me smiling.  For this post, I'll share a couple of recent cute, candid comments from our kids.  Our daughter, who I refer to as "RBC" (Right Brained Child) on this blog, is 8-years old, and our son, who wants to be called "Joey" on this blog, is age five.
  • When selecting an outfit to wear for her first day of school, RBC insisted that she wear the "shiff-in" blouse.  I was confused until I saw the word "chiffon" written on the tag. Interestingly, her outfit matched the school walls, reading center, name tags, etc.  She showed excessive school spirit without even realizing it.
Her chiffon blouse in school colors
  • Last night at bedtime, I tried to encourage my son who was extremely antagonistic about having to go to school, insisting that he would much rather continue homeschooling. As he sat there with a pouty lip complaining that he would not know anyone in his class, I reminded him that the Bible teaches us that if we want lots of friends, then we must show ourselves to be friendly.  I asked him to wear a smile on his face instead of that frown and suggested some conversation starters to show himself friendly to others in his class.  After I gave him several examples such as, "Hello, my name is Joey.  It's a pleasure to meet you.  Do you like....(common interest)..?"  After listening attentively, he replied, "Mom, you do realize that I'm not going to say any of that, don't you?"
  • During dinner this evening our son did not use proper table manners while eating his chicken and pasta.  After I corrected him, RBC said, "He may be rude, but he sure is cute!
  • When tucking the kids into bed tonight, I told them how much I love them and sighed, "God sure has given us a great life."  RBC replied, "See, when you take out all the negative stuff, you realize how good life really is
  • Sometimes, Joey really wishes he was already a full grown man.  Recently, he asked, "How much longer until I become a man?"  His father notified him that those changes would begin taking place in about eight years.  Joey replied, "But I can't wait that long!"  So his sister the sage said, "Relax, little brother, and enjoy your happy years."
  • As part of our kids' character training, we try to focus on one virtue each week. So when I introduced "self control" one week, I gave this definition, "If I am self controlled, I am NOT wild, rowdy, or disorderly" when my RBC interrupted me by wailing, "But I WANT to be wild, rowdy, and disorderly."  So we have some work to do in the area of self-control, but at least she's figured out honesty.  If only she had waited for the rest of the definition which is my favorite. When people have self-control, they do not expect others to control them nor are they controlled by any thing.
Wild & Rowdy
  •  While enjoying some couch time snuggles with my kids while watching the London Olympic Games, Joey said, 'The Olympics really should have an event called 'Mom' where people compete to see who can hug Mom the most.  Or they could have a bacon biscuit event.  Mom can be the bacon.  RBC and I can be the two halves of the biscuit."
  • My live wire 8-year old recently asked me, "Mom, do you ever take time out during the day by yourself to relax?". My unvoiced reply was simply, "Oh dear child, I have been trying to do that ever since the day you were born." 
  • I love the way kids will listen to different lessons from different sources and then make interesting connections when they rephrase what they have heard.  One afternoon this month, I overheard my kids having a philosophical conversation about aliens.
    • Joey:  Life can't possibly survive on other planets like Mars or Pluto.
    • RBC:  Pluto is NOT a planet!  You know, the Bible says Jesus died once for the sins of all people.  So would that mean He also died for people on other planets if they existed?  All have sinned so does that mean aliens sinned?
    • Joey:   Aliens could not exist.  I don't think Jesus traveled from planet to planet to die over and over again for the sins of aliens.
  • Now that I have plantar fasciitis, sinusitis, and achilles tendonitis, I have finally accepted that I must submit to the nasty 4-letter word, REST, for quite some time. I'm allergic to rest, so I feared the next few months could get especially ugly around here. Sensing my angst, my dear daughter left me encouraging notes on my laptop, on my nightstand, and in my Bible over the next few days.
1st note
2nd note



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...