Then, we began to wonder if Orwell gave Muffin ear mites, which are transferable between the species. The back half of each of Muffin's ears began to turn dark gray while the front remained light tan or cream. I thought nothing of it at first since sable point lops are always changing colors. But then we realized she was losing a lot of fur, not just changing color, and saw where fur loss was a sign of ear mites, so we took her to the most expensive and only vet that treats rabbits nearby in a neighboring city.
Sorry, Muffin, but as I learned at a very early age, having a brother automatically means you will often find yourself in the headlock. The secret to getting out of this position is to tickle your brother's feet. It worked every time for me.
I also shared with my vet my concerns over Muffin's change in temperament and frequent spraying and litter training issues making her way more trouble than I could stand. She thought Muffin was remarkably calm during the visit, and Muffin certainly did enjoy all the rubbing and attention. Friends with bunnies as pets tell me Muffin doesn't even belong in the rabbit species, for she is more like a dog in the way she sits in our lap, licks our face, and just enjoys being cuddled.
Muffin made my boy and me laugh with her ears out like airplane wings while in the bunny burrito wrap for the examination. The vet said her ears look great and that since the shedding is symmetrical, she's probably just going through a molting period. She had not seen anything quite like it, though. Then today, I came across this picture of Muffin's maternal grandfather, Mr. Honey. In this pic, his ears look the exact same way, so apparently this ear thing is genetic, but I hope it looks normal again soon as it is worrisome to watch.
![]() |
| Mr. Honey, Muffin's grandfather |



No comments:
Post a Comment