Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ever feel like running away?

When I was a child, I loved reading adventure books.  My favorites were Robinson Crusoe, My Side of the Mountain, Swiss Family Robinson, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.  When I was about my daughter's age, I decided to go on an exploration adventure all by myself.  I told my parents that while I was happy at home, it was time for me to leave home and pursue adventure in strange new lands.  So, Mom and Dad helped me pack a knapsack, and I insisted on carrying my pink plastic rake as my primary tool and means of defense.

It was dark when I hugged my family goodbye that evening. I walked down the sidewalk with a courageous spirit, but by the time I reached the end of the long driveway, I had decided that maybe I was too young to face the shadows, darkness, and creepy crawling things all alone.  So, I made a U-turn and peeked inside the back door window.

Mom was on the phone, and Dad was in the recliner watching television as if I had never left. After having a pity party in the garage all alone for a few moments, I mustered up the courage to knock on the back door.

My parents called my bluff and welcomed me back home with loving arms. I will never forget the lessons I learned that evening about my own neediness and how thankful I was for their provision and protection.  No amount of adventure can compare to dwelling in the comfortable home of loving parents.

My daughter is a voracious reader. She loves adventure as much as I did back then and has quite a lot of courage for a 7-year old girl.  Apparently, she has similar ideas about running away to pursue adventure as I did back then.  This afternoon, we got to review her runaway plans. 

For some people, like Jetman, the adventurous spirit only increases with age.  Dad suggested I try this adventure next:



Who wants to join me?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...