Friday, September 2, 2011

Top Kid Quotes for the Week (9/2/2011)

Quotes by our Right-Brained-Child (age 7):
"Mom, you talk faster than a horse canters."  
"I'm as tired as an oven is hot"
After opening her most recent Fat Cat account statement, she wailed, "Oh no, they lowered my rate again!"    Now she's only earning one penny a month instead of two. Welcome to the recession, my child. 
Quotes by our son (age 4):
While staring at a photo of a girl we sponsor in Haiti, he looked up at me with great concern in his countenance and asked, "Mom, why does her country's name have a bad word in it?"  (FYI:  "Hate" is a bad word at our house.)
Me:            Son, clean your room.
Echo:         I need a help! The Bible says, "Two are better than one."
Me:           (Thinking to myself....what a smarty pants!) 
Dad:           Why do you need help?
Echo:         Because my room is REALLY messy.
Dad:           Who made the mess?
Echo:         (pouty lip)
Some of the kids' recent comments have been amusing to me personally because they reflect pieces of myself.  Like a rushing river, a steady current of questions pour from our lips without pause.
Echo:  "Mom, how does this refrigerator work?"   
Me:   "Great question, son, but I think you may be too young to understand the refrigeration cycle."
Echo:  How does the dishwasher work?  What causes a hurricane?  What makes the phone ring?  I want to know how everything operates!
My curiosity about how things are made and how they operate led me to pursue a degree in engineering.  Perhaps my boy, who currently prefers math and science over reading, will eventually become an engineer.
Before I aspired to become an engineer, I longed to become an inventor.  I read biographies of Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison, and Alexander Graham Bell repeatedly as a child and enjoyed trying to come up with ideas for inventions.  Similarly, our right-brained-child is often busy designing some new invention (examples here).  She and her brother might make a great team some day.  She'll come up with lots of creative ideas for inventions, and he can figure out how to manufacture them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...