Since having kids, our church has always hosted a fall festival, or we were traveling during Halloween, so trick-or-treating has never been an option for our family although, we would pass out candy whenever we returned home when possible.
This year, the fall festival took place earlier in the week, so we joined up with some church friends who live in our neighborhood and took the kids trick-or-treating close to home. It ended up being a great way to meet new neighbors and to say hello to those we haven't seen in years. The kids wore their King Edmund and Queen Lucy Narnia series costumes (the queen costume was made by their grandma). It was very cold but turned out to be a pleasant experience overall. I love any chance to meet new neighbors.
I was surprised by the number of kids that came by this year. Pick-up trucks rolled into our neighborhood with a dozen or so kids in each flatbed. There were also lots of police patrolling our area which helped. We gave out full size candy bars, but one trick-or-treater complained, "Is that all I get?", so I'm wondering what the appropriate candy ration is these days. I'm so out of touch with this tradition.
![]() |
| King Edmund and Queen Lucy let down the drawbridge and lured guests into our Halloween castle with candy bars.... |
![]() |
| ...while I waited for someone to bring me gourmet chocolate (see shirt). |
Unfortunately, one mother backed out of our driveway right into our ditch. My husband and a police officer tried to help her, but she ended up having to call a tow truck. She promised us that she would not be bringing her kids to trick-or-treat at our house ever again. :(
![]() |
| Unfortunately, one young knight's squire fell off the drawbridge, but brave Sir Mack Truck came to the rescue. |



No comments:
Post a Comment