Sunday, May 10, 2015

Teaching Updates: Some Humor and Sappy Stuff


This is how I know teaching makes a person crazy: 
It's a gorgeous day outside, and I have so much landscaping and fun outdoor exercise to do. But the new curriculum I ordered for next year just came, and it feels like Christmas. All I want to do right now is work problems and test out all the fun science experiments it recommends.  After writing my own curriculum this past year from scratch, I was more than happy to fork over big bucks for texts someone else had already written.  I know this curriculum is going to be great because when my right-brained child saw the books lying on the counter, she starting working left-brained problems from one of the books like a champ on her own initiative.  

The next text I write may be entitled, "Critical Thinking Skills for Bunnies"


I have been trying all year to make my students laugh and to make learning fun. After a quick trip to the dentist during the lunch hour to replace an old filling that had fallen out, I returned to school with my mouth completely numb, so my attempts to teach in that condition were guaranteed to make them laugh, and so they did! ‪#‎whateverittakes‬

I absolutely love the dances at our school and wish my proms had been like these.  Every single student dances (dance partners are randomly assigned, and the guys are required to ask his partner to dance) while a skillful caller leads students through a great mix of classy dances and fun line dances under bright lights where the smiles that are even brighter. I continue to be impressed by the students at this school.
The girls dance the entire time so heels come off at some point.  One guy danced the entire sole off his shoe tonight.
Pinterest sure has raised the bar for prom hair!
 

 
 
 
 
Here are few close-ups of my students who I have grown to love more than I ever imagined after only spending five hours a week with them (when they actually come to class, that is).
 
 
For the hoedown and the snowball dance, the houses* plan every detail of the dances including communications, decorations, themes, food, music/caller, etc.  Protocol (aka Prom), however, is completely coordinated by the parents of senior students. They do all the work to honor their graduating students.  Seniors get first opportunity at buying tickets, followed by juniors, and then sophomores and freshman, so grade level does come into play at that point.  There is also a special dinner before the dance for the seniors.

* Faculty and students in grades 6-12 are divided into four groups or houses named after great theologians to build a family environment, break down walls between grades, and instill leadership and integrity.

When they remember their prom night, lovely respectable tunes will echo in their minds. When I remember my prom, however, the lyrics,"Play that funky music, white boy,"get stuck in my mind.
The best part of stopping by protocol tonight was that three students came up to give me a hug.  It's a simple thing, really, but I didn't expect anyone to notice me in the corner admiring them dance so well.  All my students waved, but the three who came up to give me sweaty hugs were the ones I wanted most desperately to reach, for their hurts run deep, and for at least one, frustration with life's circumstances has led to anger at God and a heart that refuses to receive His loving grace. These three smiled at me with eyes that seemed to say, "I know you care about me, Mrs. C."  And truly, all that extra time and effort I put into developing a curriculum I thought I could use for years to come but only got to teach once was totally worth it if those seniors leave knowing that I truly care about each of them and am always there for them, for the love I have tried to show them is only a dim reflection of the matchless love God has for them. Several students did not start coming to me to talk after class until a few weeks ago, but praise God for those talks.


Then I watched another student who teased another student (too much in my opinion) almost all year until I forced them to work together on a project go out of his way to show her extraordinary kindness, even pushing me aside when I tried to be the one to assist her. 
No wonder teachers pour themselves out so much for these students for so little pay...what invaluable blessings flow out of their humble interactions.

Speaking of teaching....I love the way my mom teaches my son landscaping skills.  Those two are my favorite groundskeepers!   I'm so thankful for the way my parents have faithfully kept this landscaping birthday tradition for the past 20 years.  The tradition started when I bought my first house as a single gal in South Carolina shortly after graduating from college. I didn't even know how to turn on the mower or weed eater at that point, but I learned the hard way or traded baked goods or full course meals with my single neighbors for yard help. Mom and Dad have driven their truck to my house out of state many times to haul loads of mulch, and Mom usually plants flowers. I love her potted plants, so she brings me a few every year for my birthday. I still have so much to learn from my green thumbed parents.


As a new teacher, I like to give advice, so here are two summer tips for you.


#1:  Put down your phone or upgrade to a larger screen.

#2:  Think twice before posting a beach selfie pic from the popular new perspective. 

 I will never post one like those shown on the right. I feel certain that no one needs or wants to see a close-up of my legs, knees or retired runner's feet, and I don't want to see others' either.
I'm starting to sound like my Granny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...