Sunday, May 10, 2015

This & That (May 2015 Edition)

Have you ever had someone tell you that you look like someone else they know? That has happened to me a lot, and it is especially freaky when you are adopted via closed adoption and don't know if those look-a-likes might actually be biologically related. Now I have those answers and know my biological connections, but it's still funny to hear of resemblances others see. Most recently, my aunt was so struck by how much a young girl she had just met looked like me when I was a teen that she took her picture! Here is that picture of an unrelated (as far as I know) twin of my 14-year-old-self vs. me at that age.  Praise the Lord that this girl's hairstyle does not look like my 80s fro.


This past school year, I have felt a bit like one of the Old Testament prophets who delivered warnings of doom and suffered for it.  But these prophets also delivered a message of hope and a way to escape the coming judgment.  While I will never claim to have such an honored status as spokesman for God, I certainly have been delivering bad news for someone.  I feel like I have been a regular fixture in the headmaster's office, and by now, I wonder if the administrators cringe when they see me.

But here's the deal.  I love the students at our school.  I love our school and it's core values.  Trained as an engineer and hired as a consultant in the past to walk into an organization, observe improvement opportunities, make recommendations for improved effectiveness, and leave, I just could not help but see and hear problems that needed to be addressed.  Students opened up with me and shared experiences that the administration knew nothing about.  No school is perfect. No school can be all things to all people.  All schools employ sinners, but I happen to believe our school is the best option around.  Still...there are issues to address.  There always will be, and I will never settle for a complacent attitude especially when it comes to educating the minds and ministering to the hearts of students. So, at the risk of burning bridges, I began advocating for students and pleading for change.  I tried to do so as respectfully as possible while offering my time and energy to carry out those changes.  The administration has had a reputation for not being responsive to parents' concerns, but instead of taking those concerns to the administration directly, the tendency is to just share those concerns privately with other parents or in the community creating a negative reputation for our school.  So, I went straight to the top administrators with those concerns over and over again.  I believe that communication is absolutely essential to problem resolution.
When my job got cut I doubted myself.  Did they view me as insubordinate or as a trouble maker?  Were my pleas seen as coming from a grumbling spirit instead of out of a genuine desire to help because I love these students so much?  Should I have remained silent?

I wrestled with these questions for weeks, but Scriptures command us to defend the weak, stand for truth, and preserve justice.  But now I have peace, for I know I have been heard, and the administration is responding.  Concerns are being addressed at last.  Despite the rumors, our administration does care and wants the best for each and every student.  If I had lost my job for taking this stand, it would have been worth it if it helped one student.  But I don't think my bridges have been burned after all.  I have been asked to come back in various other roles, and I'm grateful to have a little extra time to serve within the homeschooling community and at our school next year while hopefully finding more time for my family.

I've also been thinking about how communication makes the differences between peacemaking and peace faking.  I don't do "pretend" peace.  I want resolution at the core of any conflict, so I've been entering into some very difficult conversations with people I love (not just inside school but with friends and family).  I can't fake peace, so I've been busy this month seeking true reconciliation.  That's what Christ offered, and that's real peace.

In other news....
Our drama queen performed in another musical at church this month called "In the Big Inning".  The title refers to Genesis 1:1 which reads, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth", and the musical is built upon a baseball motif.  Our girl played the part of Jamie, and Nana and Pops came to watch her perform.  All the students did a great job.

Our son continues to make lots of friends and go to birthday parties at really cool places.  Isaac has never even been in our son's class, but they met at recess, so he got an invitation to Isaac's birthday party at the Museum of Life and Science.  He enjoyed visiting all the animals living there yesterday.
We continue to be blessed by our Princess Kiss bible study group.  I got to teach this month on pride, and the girls were very receptive to the lesson.  Having them respond so attentively right after losing my part-time job due to budget cuts was just the encouragement I needed.  I know the lay-off had nothing to do with my performance, but it still messed with my mind a little.  I'm so thankful my daughter has these wonderful girls as her closest friends, but I am even more grateful to have those precious moms in my life, as we strive together to honor Christ in our parenting and in all we do. As iron sharpens iron, so I pray we will sharpen one another.  (Proverbs 27:17)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...