When I gave up my career, I lost income but gained priceless time with my children who would grow up much too fast. When I had to give up distance running due to injuries, physical therapy and weight training gave me a much stronger overall physique.
When we moved, we lost dear friends, privacy, and land, but we gained convenience and the opportunity to meet new people. When I had to give up running for speed, I learned how to do plyo and one-handed push-ups. When traveling/work kept me from my workouts, my maximum number of reps decreased, but I finally achieved the L-pull-up, which I had been attempting for years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We also get to choose how we will react to the blows life inflicts upon us. As my daughter recently suggested, we must trade grumbling, complaining, and discontent for gratitude when trials test us because those tests help our faith to grow.
After teaching about air pressure and encouraging my STEM students to examine the shape and size of tires in the early morning when the air in them is cold to the later in the day after the tires have been active for awhile, I got into my van the following day to find the low tire pressure warning light was illuminated. How ironic! After a near flat tire that reduced my gas mileage so quickly that I nearly ran out of gas...rolling (more like thumping) into a gas station on fumes...a gas station that PTL had a tire center and leaving work later than usual anyway because both computers crashed on me at the same time all causing me to pick them up late from school. I needed her sermon more than anyone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As a kid, I was the youngest in my family and the smallest in my class, so I often heard comments like these:
1) You are not strong enough.
2) You are not big enough.
3) But you are too little to...
4) Let me help you with that before you hurt yourself.
5) You can't ....
As I grew older, my own self-talk repeated similar sentiments:
1) I'm too weak and undisciplined.
2) They say we lose all our muscle in our 40s anyway.
3) The doctor said my running days are over.
Then I shuddered when I realized I was repeating similar ideas to my tiny but mighty daughter:
1) Why do you want to play volleyball when you are built like a gymnast?
2) Are you sure you want to invest all that time into competitive basketball when that sport caters to taller people?
But PTL she did not let my thoughtless comments hold her back because GOD says:
1) I created you in my image. (Genesis 1:27)
2) You were fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:14)
3) You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength. (Philippians 4:13)
4) I will equip you with strength and all you need to do my will. (Hebrews 13:21, Psalm 18:39)
5) Be strong and courageous and do not fear for I go with you. (Deuteronomy 31:6)
6) My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
And His voice is the only one that matters because He only speaks truth.
When I see pics of my daughter or look at her honestly, I see strength, determination, confidence and great faith. It's only when I project my own insecurities upon her that I question her goals. This past week I found some pictures on my SD card that my son took while I was goofing off in the exercise room after taking too much time off due to travel and the busyness of this season. I was startled to see someone in those pictures who was not nearly as weak or little as the voices in my head had led me to believe. Why is it so easy to assume the worst?
Here is another choice that significantly affects our contentment in life. Will we become so self-absorbed and sensitive to the opinions of others that we are constantly offended and act like helpless victims, or will we turn what may feel like disparaging words into fuel that makes us stronger? Will we refuse to let the criticisms of others hold us back so we may do all God created us to do? Will we speak encouraging words and proclaim God's truth to others or spew thoughtless words that plant seeds of doubt? Sticks and stones may break our bones, but when we replace hurtful words with God's truth, we become better instead of growing bitter by His mercy and grace. Dear Lord, help me guard my heart, mind, and tongue from anything except your love and truth.
1) I'm too weak and undisciplined.
2) They say we lose all our muscle in our 40s anyway.
3) The doctor said my running days are over.
Then I shuddered when I realized I was repeating similar ideas to my tiny but mighty daughter:
1) Why do you want to play volleyball when you are built like a gymnast?
2) Are you sure you want to invest all that time into competitive basketball when that sport caters to taller people?
But PTL she did not let my thoughtless comments hold her back because GOD says:
1) I created you in my image. (Genesis 1:27)
2) You were fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:14)
3) You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength. (Philippians 4:13)
4) I will equip you with strength and all you need to do my will. (Hebrews 13:21, Psalm 18:39)
5) Be strong and courageous and do not fear for I go with you. (Deuteronomy 31:6)
6) My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
And His voice is the only one that matters because He only speaks truth.
When I see pics of my daughter or look at her honestly, I see strength, determination, confidence and great faith. It's only when I project my own insecurities upon her that I question her goals. This past week I found some pictures on my SD card that my son took while I was goofing off in the exercise room after taking too much time off due to travel and the busyness of this season. I was startled to see someone in those pictures who was not nearly as weak or little as the voices in my head had led me to believe. Why is it so easy to assume the worst?
Here is another choice that significantly affects our contentment in life. Will we become so self-absorbed and sensitive to the opinions of others that we are constantly offended and act like helpless victims, or will we turn what may feel like disparaging words into fuel that makes us stronger? Will we refuse to let the criticisms of others hold us back so we may do all God created us to do? Will we speak encouraging words and proclaim God's truth to others or spew thoughtless words that plant seeds of doubt? Sticks and stones may break our bones, but when we replace hurtful words with God's truth, we become better instead of growing bitter by His mercy and grace. Dear Lord, help me guard my heart, mind, and tongue from anything except your love and truth.



No comments:
Post a Comment