"Be careful little children what you hear." (Philippians 4:8)
I'm assuming those thoughts were inspired by the song, "Drops in the Ocean" by Hawk Nelson. Music can be so powerful in the way it sticks in the memory and in the heart, erupting at the most unexpected times. While I have been comforted by recollections of psalms, hymns, and other spiritual songs (Colossians 3:16) over the years, too often I find myself humming, "Play that funky music, white boy!" or "I've Got the Power", for I did not discover contemporary Christian music until I was over twice his age.
I gave up on nagging my kids to keep their rooms clean years ago....deciding that it was better for our relationship and my heart health if I just stay out and let them have that one area to the house to keep however they like. I was feeling proud of my control freak self for this progress until....
I asked the kids to collect water samples from a variety of sources (ponds, lakes, groundwater, rain run-off, etc.) for a water microbiology class I'm teaching, and one kid brought me a golden sample saying, "Look Mom, the water in this bottle is 4 years old! This is the water I took to golf camp when we lived on the golf course!"
How much money we spend to move and store that water twice?
Thank you so much sweetheart for your contribution. I'll let you watch "Hoarders" again tonight.
******************************************
Why is it that whenever I place something new on the dinner table, the kids assume it is healthy & tastes terrible and then refuse to try it, but when I bring a new (to them) foul smelling substance into the science lab and warn the students not to eat it, they all sneak a bite? #ReversePsychology #ForbiddenFruit
******************************************
When the rain and flooding caused us to cancel our fall break travel plans, the kids, with pouty lips drooping, lamented that the break would be too boring. But look how much excitement we've already had on day one! This early riser has a shiner. If you think he looks bad, you should see the ice that hit him at the skating rink.
******************************************
My daughter asked me to take her shopping at the fabric store for supplies for a gift she's making for her brother. I commented on dozens of designs I would like for myself as we perused the selections, but she replied, "Mom, I would gladly make one for you for Christmas, but I only have enough money for my brother, not you." Should I be proud of her for the way she loves her little brother or feel dissed?
******************************************
The kids had to clean all the van windows together to help them learn how to get along nicely and be patient with one another. Then just after one kid wiped the windshield nice and clean but before their dad could inspect their work, a bird pooped all over the glass. I guess the birdie thought they needed a little more practice
******************************************
So my daughter spent 7 hours today as an extra during the filming of a short (3-5 minute) movie. Exhausted, she lamented, "We shot the same scene over and over and over all day long." Now she has a better appreciation for what goes into making a movie. She's been reading books on script writing, laboring over the computer writing the script, teaching herself video editing software, recruiting actors and designing sets for a "movie" she wants to self-produce, so I wonder how today's experience will impact the length of her movie and her willingness to continue. Time will tell....but she sure has vision.
******************************************
And this guy knows how to recycle the Sunday comics.
******************************************
The third graders took a field trip to a working farm / public park near our previous house. I've taken the kids there before, but it was like a brand new experience for our son since he's older now. Here are a few pics from that rainy day (just like most days this month) in the mud.




No comments:
Post a Comment