Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Kids' Book of Quotes

As much as I have posted on this blog about the funny and cute things our kids say, I feel like I am compiling a book under the label, "Quotes".  I'm sure any mother of small children could write her own book.  If I could bottle up all those funny or endearing moments with the kids, I could sell bottles of health and happiness elixir.  Instead, I guess I'll just keep recording them here on this blog. 

Speaking of books, one of his quotes should probably be made into a children's book.

Me to my 5-year-old: "Did you have fun today in school?"

His reply: "Yes, Tuesday is my favorite day of the week. Of course, Mondays are also my favorite because I get to go to computer lab, and do math (which I get to do every school day). I love math. But I like Wednesdays, too, because of art class. Thursdays are prize box days, so those are also my favorite.  No, Fridays would have to be my favorite because I get to go to co-op and take PE with you, Mom. Saturdays are also my favorite because Daddy is home ALL day, and Sundays are awesome because I love our church and BLAST and all the family time. (Breathes) Mom, I guess my favorite day of the week is every day of the week."

If only we could all feel the same way as this 5-year-old. And who says boys prefer yes/no answers to talking a lot?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 If I were writing a book of favorite quote by our kids, this quote by my son on the same day as we were walking into the house after carpool pick-up would be included:

"Mommy, I don't think I've had a hug from you all.....day....LONG!  You sit right there while I put down my books, and I'll be right over." 

Lengthy hugs and more nonstop talking (on his part) ensued. 

Then he said, "Mom, whenever I start to hug you, I never want to stop."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tucking kids in at night takes an ordinate amount of time when:

1) Your 5-year-old puts you into a headlock and says, "You can't leave until I say it's time, and that time is never."


2) Your 8-year-old shouts, "Freeze! I'm the sheriff!" as soon as you walk into her room and then locks you into a full Nelson hold.
 
 


Our tough kids

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I recently learned that our daughter has taken on a new "leadership" role at her school as something like a language monitor.  At first, I was frustrated with this arrangement out of concern that she might be exposed to some inappropriate language from which we have diligently tried to shield her.  

At dinner, a few days later, I whispered something to my husband about how attractive he is to me when he spends time playing games with the children, and I hope he isn't embarrassed when I flirt a little with him as a result.
Playing football
Overhearing, our language monitor said with alarm, "Mother, please!  There are children at the table!" 
I am no longer allowed to use the word "flirt" at the dinner table. 
Flirting in the corn pit

Yes, I do believe she is ready to serve as language monitor.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My 5-year old loves his new Bible so much that whenever I ask him to help me with a chore or to clean his room, he says, "But Mom, I'm reading the Bible. That's more important." 

So, his next Bible study lesson will be on James 1:22 which says,
"But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves."


 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Early one morning last week, our son shouted, "Hey, Mom! Look what I learned to do at school!"
 

 
When I turned around, I saw him with a spoon dangling from his nose.  And of course, his sister had to learn this new skill, too.
I guess that's one more thing I failed to teach him in our homeschool.  What would I do without their school to fill in these critical educational gaps?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5-year-old: "Mom, I wish I was bigger and stronger, so I could pick you up and rock you in a rocking chair."

Me: "Would you also sing the I'll Love You, Forever song, so we could be like the picture on the third page from the end of the book by that name?" (yep, I have the book memorized, don't you?)

Him: "Uh-huh!"


(Looks like I'll have at least one visitor when I'm in a rest home.)
Mom rocked me, and I rocked my kids in this old chair.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...