Friday, September 28, 2012

Living Wax Museum

When I homeschooled the children, I was fairly hard core when it came to reading, writing, and arithmetic. I also took Bible teaching and memory work quite seriously.  I loved teaching science and history, but too often, the creative aspects of teaching these subjects, which are probably the most memorable and enjoyable got pushed aside.  Thankfully, our kids' new school is making up for some of slackness.

The entire school has been studying the Civil War era this past month, so they hosted a Civil War "living" wax museum last week to display their projects and present some of the history facts they have learned.  Each student dressed up as a key figure in the Civil War.  Our son dressed as Abraham Lincoln, and his sister played the role of First Lady, Mary Todd Lincoln.  I did not find out about the costume requirement until just before the kids went to bed the night before, so we had to put together outfits rather quickly.

Here are a few scrapbook pages for the kids to provide a glimpse of the Wax Museum. I was amazed that my high energy children were able to stand perfectly still like statues until someone pressed the "button" (a sticker or red circle drawn with marker) on their hands. Once the button was pressed, they would come alive and tell guests about their character's role in the Civil War.

I loved all the projects like these freedom quilts and the battleground map made out of Civil War era currency.

Our son's class waited patiently like statues with hands outstretched until guests pressed their buttons. 

Our daughter's class

The drama team presented a readers' drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...