The kids were not getting along very well earlier today, and they weren't doing their chores. So, when they came to me with whiny voices asking to watch a movie, I refused their request. So, they ran up to the second floor to find something else to do.
When I went to check on them, I found them nestled inside the school room closet with a book and a flashlight. They were reading and memorizing poems by Robert Louis Stephenson. When I found them, my daughter crawled out of her hiding place and began reciting poetry.
I don't know what motivated them to memorize poetry. We did read through the Elsie Densmore book series this past year, and Elsie's father made her do recitation work. Perhaps that book gave them the idea.
These kids are always coming up with unusual ways to amuse themselves, but this particular example intrigued me. I can remember turning my bedroom closet into a reading room with pillows, a sleeping bag, stacks of books, and a flashlight when I was was in grammar school. I never memorized classic poetry for fun, though.
Waiting Eagerly for His Return
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment