My husband and I did not talk about the kids all that much during our vacation, but I did spend time examining my effectiveness as a parent. I considered all the ways I fall short and paused to thank God for His marvelous grace extended to our family despite my mistakes. Even though I have been parenting for over seven years now, most days I still feel like I'm a first time mom who is clueless and struggling.
The benefit of meditating on my parenting while away from the children, away from friends and family who are also mothers, and away from Facebook and blogs which present a "polished" example of what successful mothering should be is that I was able to hear from God alone without distracting input from outside sources.
If I consult books, the internet, friends, and family for direction instead of first seeking the Lord, then I will commit idolatry and wallow in feelings of inadequacy. If I set my children's behavior or performance up as a measuring stick for my parenting success, then I will unfairly place a yoke around their necks while setting us all up to be disappointed.
As I reflected on God's loving care for all of His children, I realized that if I attempt any part of this parenting assignment without Him, then I will fall flat on my face. I must constantly and completely rely upon His strength, wisdom and protection to parent these children His way. Prayer without ceasing is vital.
As I prayed, God began to reveal to me specific areas in which more sacrifice is needed on my part to parent more effectively. His instructions for me did not, however, involve an oppressive to-do list or a total overhaul of our family's schedule. He reminded me that the Pharisees got so caught up in their man-made rules that they completely lost focus of Him. They worshiped their "to-do" and "do not do" lists instead of the Lord God Almighty.
I felt God impressing upon me that the most important thing I can do as a parent is the one thing I enjoy most, and that is to continually point my children to Jesus. Instead of focusing on what others are doing to train their children, I need to look to the Lord for direction and help my children grow in personal intimacy with the Lord. As I seek Him daily, I will better understand His desire for my kids' training. As their loving Creator, He knows their personalities, needs, gifts, learning styles, strengths, and weaknesses better than I ever could. He even knows every moment of each child's future, so He should be my source for direction. With Christ at the center, all the other parenting details should naturally fall into place.
Some of the parenting lessons God taught me during our second honeymoon are described here. It felt so freeing to know that successful parenting does not involve a complicated list of requirements such as elaborate crafts, 643 highly educational field trips, exotic vacations, an exhausting school curriculum, or a packed social calendar for my children. I merely need to keep the main thing the main thing. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus!
Colossians 3
1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.Photos by Blink of an Eye Photography


No comments:
Post a Comment